Friday, May 9, 2014

A close family

One of the hardest things about being on the mission field (I'm speaking for me personally), is being on the other side of the world from my family. 

One of the hardest things about furlough, are the inevitable good-byes that must be said when it's over. 
When my kids were younger, it used to bother me that it didn't really bother them to say the good-byes.  They were too young to understand that it would be years before we were together again. They seemed to look at me and wonder "What's wrong with Mom?"   Now that they're older, we all cry together.
The last night before returning to the field we spent with my parents and my brother's family.  My kids are best friends with their cousins.  They really are.  When they get together, even if it's been years, they act like they've never been apart.


I will not open the door to that private time with the family, but it was hard...so hard.  But, my Dad made some comments that have stuck with me, since that sad day.  He said, "We need to be thankful. Not everyone has such a close family, or a family that loves each other and wants to be together like we do. We are blessed. And there are so many ways to stay in touch now...email, skype, texts.  We can still stay close as a family."
Thanks Dad, you are right, as usual.
So, today I am thankful for my family.
That they love and serve God.
That they love each other...even while they aggravate each other;-)
That they have always supported us..in so many ways.
That they never say "Don't go"...they just say "Follow God, but we will miss you"
That they are always just a phone call away.
Yes, I am thankful, and we are blessed.

1 comment:

  1. So true, Angela...Love the picture of your whole family. Your Mom hasn't changed a bit. I don't ever remember seeing your Dad, but Andrew and your sisters have certainly changed! It is so wonderful to have encouraging parents who are willing to let go. I thank the Lord for mine!

    ReplyDelete